Tips for "turning around" a conversation:
- When talking to someone who voices strong views that don't align with yours, find humor in your differences.
- Re-direct a chronic complainer by asking the person to suggest solutions.
- If you find yourself repeating the same points, take a deep breath and just listen.
- If your colleague is trashing a coworker, say, "Funny, he/she has the nicest things to say about you."
- When someone is bragging about him/herself, compliment the person and change the subject. If this doesn't work, excuse yourself and walk away.